September 19, 2017
Today, the Qaujigiartiit Health Research Centre has launched the 'Health NU' orientation app. Available for free on both Android and Apple devices.
The goal of the app is to bring forward the voices of our communities to welcome and orient new members of the health care workforce in Nunavut.
We created the app in consultation with community members and health care providers to address a community-identified need for improved cultural and health systems orientation for health care providers.
The app contains sections on
- The ways we communicate and Inuktitut language resources;
- Our history and settlement;
- The values of our families and communities;
- Patient/client expectations in the health care setting;
- Nunavut's health care model and referral pathways;
- How to make mental health referrals for patients;
- Preparing for your arrival
- Recommended readings, films, books and websites.
- An interactive map of Nunavut, with community-specific information including average weather, average cost of foods, maps, key phone numbers, and links to community Facebook pages.
The app content was developed by Qaujigiartiit Health Research Centre and the technological an design aspects were developed by Pinnguaq Technology Inc.
Please download and distribute widely.